First, we had to decide on the trim size, so we painted plywood and
attached it to wall to see how it looked.
Then we had to cut 4' x 8' sheets of durarock into strips
Next we constructed scaffolds and
installed the durarock strips with tapcons and then mortared over the
joints with mesh tape.
We would work for a week installing the durarock and then the
plasterers would work for a week plastering. Then we would move
the scaffold and start another section. We moved the scaffold,
which was rented, borrowed, and bought, more times than we can count.
Clada chippered all summer, but there was more to do once we had
Art had to install the upstairs
propane lines so we could level the ground to accommodate scaffolds. Chip would pressure wash the walls
right before plastering.
Clada had to paint on "the pink stuff" which is used to
bond the plaster to the concrete.
It is a chemical that washes off so it had to be
painted on a daybreak so it would dry before the plasters started
She had to repaint one wall due to an unexpected shower. People
kept asking us if that was the color we were painting our house!
The plaster is mixed by hand, using sifted sand, cement, thinset, EZ
Spread, a bonding agent, and water.
The plaster was mixed on the courtyard patio since it was
out of the wind and convenient to most of the walls.
One of the primary challenges was selecting which walls to
plaster based on the wind conditions.
We opted to plaster in September and October because those are our
least windy months, but we can still get 15mph breezes.
A scratch coat is first applied, then a final coat
is smoothed on.
Chip moved scaffold around and Clada picked up
cement and EZ Spread as needed. We used about seventy 94lb bags
We needed more scaffolding so we ordered a 3-set tower from
This scaffold set-up required some real engineering since it had to
connect at three different levels.
It's still gray,
but now we can put some paint on it someday!
Plastering took two months, including installing the trim around
the parapets. We were exhausted because we worked 7 days a week!
It was a huge job and we're so glad to have
And to top it off, one of our house
building bubbas needed some work so we spent two days getting rid of
excess building materials
and clearing some land. We were both
beat. Let's just say that we took it a little slower in
November and December...
website is for the personal
use of our friends and
family. If you don't want your name mentioned or picture
shown, please contact The Webmaster:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Pictures are the sole property of our
friends and family.